Monday, October 12

Eye Opener: CSPI

I chose to take a tour of the food I eat for this weeks eye opener.  This was a very informational exercise and at times very disturbing.  It presented facts of the processes foods go through, from the slaughterhouse, to the fields, to factories, all the way to restaurants and grocery stores.

The slaughterhouse section was one of the more disturbing sections. It talked about all the bacteria around from animal remains and diseases they can cause.  A troubling stat was last year 9 billion chickens and turkeys were killed for dinner-table-consumption, thats 30 birds for every American!  Another one is that the average american consumes 53 more pounds of poultry PER YEAR than he/she did in the early 1950s.  Just reading about the ways farm animals are treated sounds inhumane. 

This activity has definitely opened my eyes to the brutal world of meat and how it is prepared, even some troubling facts about pesticides and fertilizer. I am for sure going to think twice about buying or ordering certain foods form now on, just in the back of my head wondering where it really came from or went through. I now have a new large respect for vegetarians.

4 comments:

  1. Wow those really are some troubling statistics. The statistic about the average consumption of poultry per year seems crazy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what website? Be sure to provide a link so others who read this can do the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slaughterhouse was wierd and not cool to see at all. I thought it was nuts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amanda I can not imagine eating 53 more pounds of poultry a year as opposed to the 1950's. It actually makes me not want to have chicken or turkey for awhile.

    ReplyDelete