Monday, November 9

Reflection: Week 7 & 8

Like this whole semester, the last two weeks have flown by. In these 2 weeks we have done numerous activities and discussed several topics and I have learned a lot of useful new things.

Topics

One major topic we have been discussing has been the concept of junking. Before we dove into this subject I was kind of unaware what it was. I thought like most people that junk was junk, but when I saw some sculptors and pieces of artwork that people are making from other's trash I was amazed. Seeing this made me want to go hunting for some garage sales, so I could make my own creations. We also watched two documentaries, "Green" and "Thirst." They were both very interesting and presented strong topics, but the thirst film really stuck with me. Just how it said in some places water is being priced higher than milk, and I remember one individual protester said eventually we are going to have to pay gasoline prices for water, that is a very scary thought. I have been in the dark about this whole water privatization phenomenom. The film also followed a small communites efforts to stop this privatixation from happening in their town resulting in a lot of jobs been lost.

What I Learned

I learned a lot about environmental health in the past two weeks. Mostly just about the concept of junking, and how it really is all around already. In Duluth there are many thrift and resale shops, not to mention garage sales. I am for sure going to take advantage of these in the future. I learned that the old saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure" really does hold true. I also learned a lot from the film Thirst, such as to be aware that this is going on and take small steps now that can help the future generations. I didn't learn much else to do with blogging, except I am doing good with it and no new questions have arised from blogging.

3 comments:

  1. It seems as though we are all getting the hang of this and are asking a lot less questions. In the beginning I know I thought my questions would never end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Good job at getting a hang of it. Life is good now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a relief to finally understand how all this works. Glad things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete