Friday, November 20

Reflection: Weeks 9 & 10

Well week 10 of the semester is over and now it's time to reflect over the past 2 weeks of class.

A new project was introduced in class, the advocacy project. So far this consisted of researching who my political leaders are and obtaining their contact information. Then we were to pick a proposed bill and give the progress on how it is doing in the House. The one I chose to look into is about stopping obesity in schools, a very important issue. In researching this, it was startling to see how many children were moving away from the healthy people goal. We also watched a documentary segment called Unatural Causes. This video intorduced us to several people all of different social classes, but living in the same county. It started out showing the family of a wealthy hospital CEO and his lovely neighborhood and all the opportunities available there. It later ended showing an unemployed woman living well under the poverty line. It was just amazing to me to see all the different social classes living so close in the same county. It also caught me by suprise when it showed the lives of one couple who seemed like they were struggling finacially at times, living paycheck-to-paycheck, and they made the same amount of money as the average american does. We also started to talk about the upcoming photo essay project. I have done projects like this in the past and have already begun brainstorming what I should do.

I learned several things over the past 2 weeks of class. I learned just how many different social classes they are and how they can exist close together. I learned what some people in lower social classes must do to get by. And also, I learned that if you feel strongly about a subject that is going on, you can contact your political representatvie; that is what they are there for. I look forward to the upcoming weeks of class. Doing the photo essay and the junking activity this week in class.

3 comments:

  1. Thats awesome that you learned some stuff and I look forward to the photo essay to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for the photo essay and junking activity this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned many of the same things you did these last few weeks. I agree that it is important to contact a political representative if you feel strongly about issues.

    ReplyDelete